Nomads are on the move! With thanks to Eten café for their hospitality over the last year, we now head to the Trades and Labour Club, 200 Duke Street, Sheffield, S2 5QQ. It’s the first club night next week, Tuesday 19th May, when Paul has kindly agreed to repeat last year’s very successful simul. So, if you’ve not seen the venue yet come along and have a look. If you have, come along anyway 🙂 7.45pm start.
For anyone interested, here are the details / link to the webpage of a new congress to be held in Wakefield, with a FIDE rated Open. It does unfortunately clash with Nottingham if that happens to be in your plans.
Cedar Court Hotel
Denby Dale Road
FIDE Rated Open
ECF Under 175
ECF Under 135
Henry Withington, who’s played for the A, C & D teams this season has had an impressive record. He’s been nominated player of the month for November 2014 by Yorkshire Chess.
- open to anyone in the S & DCA area
- 6 rounds Swiss or all-play-all, depending on turnout
- one game per month at Black’s or Junior’s choice of venue
- free entry
- playing speed: 24 moves per hour, then 12 each half hour
- your details by text, please, or call 07763938623 by 31 October
- current champion: Chris Shephard
- I would like more entries than last year, please!
- “regulars” whom I am phoning individually need not apply separately
The new chess season upon us once again. We’ll be kicking off next week, Weds 10th September, at Eten Café, next to the cathedral, with a quickplay event commemorating Phil Ford, longstanding Nomads member who died suddenly, too young, 4 years ago after playing chess.
Henry Withington gets a sneak preview of Ken Norbury’s new book on 1.h4. For more info please email email@example.com
The Deedah Monkeys are building the new Sheffield Nomads website. There will be many new features. At the moment the site is in its beta stage.